Blackdom, N.M.: The Black Ghost Town Courtesy of the NAACP of Otero County New Mexico Black History Blogger, Lesley Gist Located southwest of Roswell , Blackdom, established by Frank and Ella Louise Boyer, was the first all-black settlement in New Mexico . The heyday for the town was around 1908, when there were about 300 residents. They had set up a post office, a blacksmith, stores, a hotel and the Blackdom Baptist Church , which also served as the schoolhouse. By the 1920s a severe drought led settlers to abandon the town. www.blogtalkradio.com/TheGISTofFREEDOM , WWW.The Gist of Freedom.